We were delighted that Prof Bonang Mohale, the President of Business Unity South Africa, Chairman of Bidvest and highly acclaimed author of the recently released book, Behold the Turtle, agreed to address us on the subject, Imagining a revitalised South Africa…Yes we can… Drawing on his vast experience in business in South Africa, Bonang unpacked the SONA and provided insights into how the President’s plans need to be implemented to change the fortunes of South Africa. The event was hosted by Norton Rose Fulbright.
Numbers were limited to a maximum of 40 attendees due to stringent Covid 19 protocols.
…Our grateful thanks to Norton Rose Fulbright , a proud SACANCHAM member for hosting this event on behalf of SACANCHAM….
View the video recording:
About Professor Bonang Mohale:
Bonang Francis Mohale is the Chancellor of the University of the Free State, Professor of Practice in the Johannesburg Business School (JBS) College of Business and Economics, Chairman of The Bidvest Group Limited and Chairman of SBV. He is a highly respected South African businessman, who is known as much for his patriotism and his active role in seeking to advance the country’s interests.
He is the Author of the best-selling book, ‘Lift As You Rise’, launched in November 2018, a compilation of some of his spoken and written words in which Mohale reveals the issues he is passionate about – among them leadership, transformation, people development, constructive collaboration and integrity.
He was the Chief Executive Officer of Business Leadership South Africa (BLSA) till June 2019 BLSA brings together the leadership of South Africa’s most successful and influential big business and multinational investors to exchange ideas, facilitate effective dialogue with government and other stakeholders and advocate for pro-business, economically sustainable policies and programmes. Prior to joining BLSA, Mr Mohale ended a distinguished term as Vice President Upstream and Chairman of Shell South Africa (Pty) Limited at the end of June 2017.
Mr Mohale, who originally studied to be a medical doctor, has had a distinguished career at the helm and in leadership roles of several major South African and multinational companies; including Otis Elevators, South African Airways, Sanlam Limited and Drake & Scull Integrated Facilities Management. He currently serves on the Boards of Swiss Re Africa Limited, Rand Merchant Bank Limited (RMB) and SBV.
Mr Mohale has an impressive track record of building successful companies, delivering results and making significant advances in transformation in the companies he has been privileged to lead. He has been a vocal, courageous and active proponent of transformation since the 1980s, and played a leadership role in the Black Management Forum (BMF) for over 33 years, where he was the president.
– Awarded the Free Market Foundation “Luminary Award for 2019” – In recognition of the outstanding courage and integrity he has displayed, through difficult times, in his contributions to the business community and for defending the rights of all South Africans.
– Winner of the Forbes Woman Africa Male Gender Advocate Award for 2019
– BMF Lifetime Achievement Award in March 2019
– Awarded “The Momentum Friendship Blazer” as recognition for being the ‘first RSA Nation Building Champion’ in 2015.
– Winner of both the Country (RSA) and Regional (SADC) “TITANS – BUILDING THE NATION” 2014 CEO Magazine Awards.
– Bonang was conferred with an Honorary Professorship in Marketing Management by the University of Pretoria, where he serves on their Advisory Council since 1992.
– 2012 IPM CEO of the Year.
– SA Facilities Management Association 2007 ‘PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR’
– 1997 Black Management Forum’s (BMF) MANAGER OF THE YEAR.
– Received the PRESIDENTIAL AWARD for his “Servanthood in South African Industry and the Economic Empowerment of Previously Disadvantaged Individuals” – 2001.